Wednesday, April 9, 2014

CHARLES & CAMILLA MARRIED ~ 2005




Photo/cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles were supposed to be married on April 8, 2005. But Queen Elizabeth sent her eldest son and heir to represent her at the funeral of Pope John Paul II, who had died on April 2, 2005 (exactly one year before my Dennis). So Charles and Camilla had to postpone their wedding by one day.

Dennis gave me two commemorative tea cups from their wedding. One is dated April 8, the other, April 9, the actual wedding day. They complemented my collection of commemorative souvenirs from the Coronation of Edward VIII (another non-event). I'm afraid Dennis was disappointed in me for my collection. His attitude about Edward and Wallis Simpson paralleled most Englishmen's -- that Edward had abandoned his duty and was a traitor to his country. So much for the prevalent American idea: how romantic that he gave up the throne for the woman he loved!



On the other hand, Dennis genuinely liked Camilla. He thought of naming a female black-and-tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Camilla, because Princess Diana had called Camilla Parker Bowles "That Rottweiler!" and both breeds have almost identical markings. In the Cavalier's case, it would have been a sign of actual affection. I may yet name such a dog.


No comments:


Titian in the Frari (Venezia)