Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shrove Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Carnevale 2009


Photo:musicplace.it/public/shots/carnevale-di-venezia-2008

Sunday was a busy day. It started with breakfast with my friend Szilard visiting from Las Vegas. Then I subbed at Grace again. I wasn't supposed to, but John's other sub was sick, so I subbed for a sub! I'm glad I did. The music for Transfiguration was intriguing and the sermon, very powerful, as delivered by The Rt. Rev. Stephen Charleston, Assistant Bishop and Provost of the Cathedral. He talked about fog. Afterwards, we celebrated Shrove Tuesday... transferred. We did it two days early. So I had pancakes and sausage. It brought back memories of Dennis' Shrove Tuesday Suppers during the building of the new Cathedral House. When the old Cathedral House was demolished, the 'powers that be' were going to suspend the traditional pancake suppers until the new one was completed. That wasn't good enough for Dennis. So for at least two years, we had Shrove Tuesday Suppers at IHOP (International House of Pancakes) on Lombard in the Marina district. They were a big success and helped build community spirit.

Later Sunday afternoon, I went to a household chamber concert (about which I'll write a separate post), then watched part of the Academy Awards, and had a two-hour rehearsal and meeting with the Schola Cantorum... and so to bed.

No comments:


Titian in the Frari (Venezia)