Sunday, December 7, 2014

PEARL




Today, December 7, is Pearl Harbor Day. Because of that, a good friend, and perhaps first partner, was born in a detention camp in Topaz, Utah.

On September 1, 1976, a bearded Japanese-American man, whom I had seen on occasion, wrote his name and phone number on the back of a fellow Sloane’s employee’s business card, and left it for me. That’s how I met Gary Murakami. He later told me he had been loaded, or he wouldn’t have been so bold. I hadn’t noticed. September 1st was Mother and Dad’s 39th wedding anniversary.

We started seeing each other. And for several years, I spent more time at Gary’s place on Pierce Street than at home on 23rd. Several times I offered to move, so that we could find a place together. But he hesitated. Gary said he could never live with me. Later, I learned that was because of a dependence problem. He thought he could disguise it, if we didn’t live together. But we virtually lived at his place—a tiny studio with a bath and kitchen. It was very elegant – in a modern, Japanese fashion. Gary was a wonderful cook, and a beautiful man. He had had several lung operations as a teenager, and had matching scars from his nipples, under the arms to his back. He called them his angel wings. His lungs were atrophying, and would eventually have killed him. I think that added to his anxiety, and contributed to his alcohol dependence.

When I first met Gary I wrote:


SYNTHESIS OF EAST AND WEST
DIVORCED
FROM LINGUAL HERITAGE
BY RANK INJUSTICE
ALL IN BUT ONE DAY
MANY ENEMIES AGO
CONFISCATED PROPERTY
BROKEN PORCELAIN
TRANSPLANTED PEARL
CAST IN THE DESERT
UNTO SWINEHERDS
IN UTAH

AFTER CROWDED STABLES
DARKENED TRAINS
TO BE ABANDONED
IN THE WILDERNESS
BORN IN ISOLATION
AMID SALT FLATS
AND DESERT FLOWERS
PERHAPS
PARENTAL RETICENCE
UNDERSTANDABLE
WITH RIGHTFUL DIGNITY
AWAITING RESTORATION
EVEN NOW
OVERDUE
AN ONLY SON
WITH FAMILIAL OBLIGATIONS
AND HOPE
OF MANY FUTURES
DESPITE THE PAST
OR
BECAUSE
OF LARGER PASTS
A STYLE IMPECCABLE
AND SERENE
WHITES AND WICKERS
TAILORED
APPROPRIATENESS
SIMPLE ELEGANCE
TRANQUILITY
CAN THERE BE
NO BITTERNESS?
###
BEAUTY SEEN
EXPERIENCED
AND TRANSMITTED
MAY I KNOW MORE?

He said yes-- for almost five years. But Gary was always extremely moody on Pearl Harbor Day.

No comments:


Titian in the Frari (Venezia)