Friday, November 1, 2013

Ceiling of SISTINE CHAPEL first exhibited to public ~ November 1, 1512





1512 – The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, painted by Michelangelo, is exhibited to the public for the first time.

Image & text:wikipedia.com


###


The image above shows the left side of Michelangelo's ceiling restored in 1994. three years ago last month I saw the ceiling for the fifth or sixth time. My first was in 1979 before the restoration had begun. My second I think in 1987, when the ceiling was half restored. The third in 1997, when the ceiling was completed and the Last Judgment was covered. My fourth was in 2000 when the Last Judgment was completed. The fifth in 2003. And last time was just three years ago.


My friend Debbie did not have a good experience in the Chapel four years ago, when I went to Istanbul and left Alison and Debbie in Rome. There were too many people and too many vocal admonitions. So last time, we waited in line very early and rushed through the rest of the Vatican Museum in order to visit the Chapel before it was completely overrun with hordes of tourists. The strategy worked, and Debbie enjoyed our time in that magnificent space.


No comments:


Titian in the Frari (Venezia)