Sunday, December 21, 2008

Close Encounter with a PEACH PIT


Photo:farm2static.flickr.com

While I was singing my fifth Christmas concert at Grace Cathedral, dear Rose was having surgery. The vet was able to reach me two minutes before I would have been unavailable for two and a half hours. I gave her verbal authorization to go ahead with the surgery. 

It turned out that my vacuum cleaner Rose had swallowed a peach pit, of all things! (I always encourage her to take a stuffed animal toy on walks to prevent her from picking up garbage on the street.) She must have found the peach pit in the back yard last Monday morning before I went to work. It probably fell out of someone's garbage bag on the way to the trash containers. 

Since India had died suddenly on my nephew Sheridan's birthday four years ago, I considered the possibility that Rose's last day might by on my Dad, Sheridan Watson Bell, Jr's birthday. Fortunately that unhappy symmetry was not in the cards.

This whole episode has been an expensive adventure. Fortunately, I have pet health insurance thanks to Dennis' insistence, so I'll be able to recover something. More importantly, my dear Rose should make a full recovery after several more days in the SPCA hospital! The vet suggested getting a muzzle for her. I may have to use one occasionally. 

What a relief!! Mary Louise in Pennsylvania nearly cried when I told her the news. Szilard in Budapest and Martin in Bratislava will be as happy as my good friend Adam Kozlowski. (Rose seems to have a lot of Central European friends...as do I.) 

So a very happy Fourth Sunday of Advent. It certainly is for me and dear Rose!!


1 comment:

nbalike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Titian in the Frari (Venezia)